SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS (as of October 2021)
- Radicchi, A. (2012). Sull’immagine sonora della città. (On the Sonic Image of the City). Florence: Firenze University Press. ISBN: 978-88-6655-295-6, e-ISBN: 978-88-6655-278-9 (open access)
Edited special issues of peer-reviewed journals
- Xiao, J., Aletta, F., Radicchi A. (eds). (forthcoming 2021). Smells, Well-being and the Built Environment, research topic of Frontiers in Psychology Journal, Frontiers.
- Radicchi A., et al. (eds). (2021). Sound & the Healthy City, special issue of Cities & Health Journal, Volume 5, Issue 1-2, Routledge Publisher.
Articles in Peer-reviewed Journals
- Xiao, J., Aletta, F., Radicchi, A. et al. (2021). “Recent Advancements in Smellscape Research for the Built Environment”, Frontiers in Psychology, 12:700514. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.700514 (open access)
- Alsina-Pagès, R., Ginovart-Panisello, G., Freixes, M. and Radicchi, A. (2021). “A Soundwalk in the heart of Poblenou superblock in Barcelona: Preliminary study of the acoustic events”, Noise Mapping, 8, pp. 207–216. https://doi.org/10.1515/noise-2021-0016 (open access)
- Radicchi, A. & Grant, M. (2021). “From noise to soundscape in the service of urban health”. City Know How of Sound and the Healthy City, a special issue of the journal Cities & Health, 5:1-2, pp. 15-19. doi.org/10.1080/23748834.2020.1851344 (open access)
- Radicchi A. et al. (2020). “Sound and the Healthy City”. Leading Article of the special issue Sound and the Healthy City of Cities & Health Journal Editorial. DOI:10.1080/23748834.2020.1821980 (open access)
- Radicchi A. (2020). “Berlino Swim City? Riflessioni in cammino lungo la Sprea a Berlino” (“Is Berlin a Swim City? Reflections on a walk along the Spree River”), Ecowebtown. Journal of Sustainable Design, no. 21. (open access)
- Torresin, S., Aletta, F. (…), Radicchi, A. and Albatici, B. (2020). “Acoustics for Supportive and Healthy Buildings: Emerging Themes on Indoor Soundscape Research”, Sustainability, 12(15), 6054. doi.org/10.3390/su12156054 (open access)
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “Soundwalking with children for a quieter and healthier city”, Cities & Health Journal. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23748834.2019.1578455
- Tsaligopoulos, A., Karapostoli, A., Radicchi, A., Economou, C., Kyvelou, S., Matsinos, Y. G. (2019). “Ecological Connectivity of Urban Quiet Areas: The Case of Mytilene, Greece”, Cities & Health Journal. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23748834.2019.1599093
- Radicchi, A., Henckel, D., Memmel, M. (2018). “Citizens as smart, active sensors for a quiet and just city. The case of the open source soundscapes approach to identify, assess and plan everyday quiet areas in cities”, Noise Mapping, 4, pp. 104-122. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/noise-2017-0008 (open access)
- Radicchi, A., Signorelli, V. (2015). “Mappature sonore, aree di quiete e strategie di controllo del rumore/Soundmaps, quiet areas and noise control strategies”, Urbanistica, 153, pp. 31-136. ISSN: 0042-1022
- Radicchi, A. (2011). “Sull’immagine sonora della città/On the Sonic Image of the City”, Urbanistica, 146, pp. 96-100. ISSN: 0042-1022
Articles in professional practice journals
- Radicchi, A. (2021). “Integrating soundscape in urban design, planning and landscape”, Landscape Journal, issue 2, pp. 33-35. ISSN: 1742–2914 (open access)
- Dunbavin, P. & Radicchi, A. (2018). “The Hush City project and its relevance to planning policy”, Acoustic Bulletin, 43(5), pp. 34-40. ISSN: 0308-437X
- Radicchi, A. (2021), “Combined Sound and Light Walks. A novel, mixed method to assess the sonic and light urban environment at night”, in Piga, B. E. A., Siret, D., Thibaud, J-P. (eds) Experiential Walks for Urban Design. Revealing, Representing, and Activating the Sensory Environment. Springer International Publishing, pp. 77-91. ISBN: 978-3-030-76693-1
- Radicchi, A. (2021). “Citizen science mobile apps for soundscape research and public space studies. Lessons learned from the Hush City project” in Skarlatidou, A., Haklay, M. (eds) Geographical Citizen Science Design: No One Left Behind, UCL Press. (open access)
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “Hush City. From crowdsourced data to open source planning of quieter and healthier cities”, in Besters, M., Marrades Sempere, R., Kahne, J. (eds) OUR CITY? Countering Exclusion in Public Space, Placemaking Europe Publications, pp. 367-370. ISBN: 978-90-830089-0-5
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “The notion of soundscape in the realm of sensuous urbanism. A historical perspective” in Wilson, A. (ed.) Sound Worlds from the Body to the City: Listen! Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publisher, pp. 99-125. ISBN: 978- 1527523883
- Luna, S., Gold, M. (…), Radicchi, A., Schade, S., Sturm, U. (2018). “Developing mobile applications for environmental and biodiversity citizen science: considerations and recommendations”, in Joly, A., Vrochidis, S., Karatzas, K., Karppinen, A., Bonnet, P. (eds). Multimedia Technologies for Environmental & Biodiversity Informatics. Springer International Publishing, pp. 9-30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-76445-0_2
- Radicchi, A. (2017). “A Pocket Guide to Soundwalking. Some introductory notes on its origin, established methods and four experimental variations”, in Besecke, A., Meier, J., Pätzold, R., Thomaier, S. (eds.) Perspectives on urban economics/ Stadtökonomie – Blickwinkel und Perspektiven. Berlin: Universitätsverlag der TU Berlin, pp. 70-73. ISBN: 978-3-7983-2919-5 (open access)
- Mayr, A., Radicchi, A. (2013). “Time Walk”, in Henckel, D., Thomaier, S., Könecke, B., Zedda, R., Stabilini, S. (eds) Space Time Design of the Public City. Berlin: Springer Publishers, pp. 86-97.DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6425-5_
- Radicchi, A., Rojas, F. (2009). “Soundscapes Oltrarno”, in Frenchman, D., Mitchell, W. (eds) Technology, Livability and the Historic City. Future of Firenze. MIT Press, pp. 80-85. ISBN 978-0-9794774-3-0
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Alberti, F. & Radicchi, A. (2021). “From the Neighborhood Unit to the 15-Minute City. Past and Recent Urban Models for the Post-Covid Future”. Proceedings of Science and Technology, International Conference on Urban Planning and Architectural Design for Sustainable Development, Florence (IT), September 14-16 2021. ISSN (Print: 2537-0731, online: 2537-074X)
- Radicchi, A. (2020). “Passeggiate partecipate e tecnologia mobile citizen science. L’esperienza del processo partecipativo per la redazione del piano delle aree quiete di Berlino 2019-2023”, Urbanistica Informazioni no. 289, Atti della XII Giornata internazionale di Studi INU/12° International INU Study Day “Benessere e/o salute? 90 anni di studi, politiche, piani / Welfare and/or Health? 90 Years of studies, policies and plans”, 18 December 2020.
- Radicchi, A. (2020). “Are privately owned public spaces effective design and planning tools that can favor the creation of healthy, open spaces in contemporary cities? Notes from an empirical study in New York,” in Talia M. (ed), La città contemporanea: un gigante dai piedi d”argilla. Proceedings of the International Conference Urbanpromo XVI edizione Progetti per il Paese. Planum Publisher, Roma-Milano, pp. 340-346. ISBN 9788899237226
- Hasegawa, Y., Lau S-K, Radicchi A. (2020). “Assessments of users’ living soundscapes in a tropical urban city exploring objective audio-visual components and subjective perceptions with the mobile application technology’. Proceedings of Internoise 2020 E-Congress, 23-26 August 2020, Seoul, South Korea.
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “A soundscape study in New York. Reflections on the application of standardized methods to study everyday quiet areas.”, Proceedings of the 23rd International Congress on Acoustics 2019, 9-13 September 2019, Aachen (DE). ISBN: 978-3-939296-15-7 – ISSN: 2226-7808 and 2415-1599
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “Mobile applications for environmental noise and soundscape evaluation”, INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings, InterNoise19, 17-19 June 2019, Madrid, Spain, pages 3993-4998, pp. 3993-4001(9). ISSN 0736-2935
- Radicchi, A. (2019). “Is a Noisy City Sustainable?” in Beth, A. et al. (Eds.). Proceedings from EDRA 50: Sustainable urban environments. Brooklyn, NY: Environmental Design Research Association.
- Radicchi, A. (2018). “Everyday quiet areas. What they mean and how they can be integrated in city planning processes”, INTER-NOISE and NOISE-CON Congress and Conference Proceedings, InterNoise19, 26-29 August 2018, Chicago (USA), pages 2984 – 3995, pp. 3727-3735(9). ISSN 0736-2935
- Radicchi, A. (2017). “Beyond the Noise: Open Source Soundscapes. A mixed methodology to analyse, evaluate and plan “everyday” quiet areas”, Proc. Mtgs. Acoust., 30, 040005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1121/2.0000565
- Radicchi, A. (2017). “The HUSH CITY app. A new mobile application to crowdsource and assess “everyday quiet areas” in cities”, Invisible Places. Sound, Urbanism and the Sense of Place, Proceedings of the International Conference Invisible Places, São Miguel, Azores, pp. 511-528. e-ISBN: 978-989-746- 129-3
- Radicchi, A. (2013). “Emotional Geography and Soundscape Studies. Beyond the cognitive approach in (sound)mapping urban spaces”, in Morello E., Piga B. (eds) Envisioning Architecture: Design, Evaluation, Communication, Proceedings of the XI International Congress EAEA11 European Architectural Envisioning Association. Milan: Nuova Cultura Publisher, pp. 267-272. ISBN: 978-8868121365
- Radicchi, A. (2012). “The Sonic Niche. A new design tool to enhance and create atmospheres through sounds in the contemporary city”, in Thibaud, J-P., Siret, D. (eds) Ambiances in Action / Ambiances en acte(s), Proceedings of the Second International Congress on Ambiances. Montreal: Ambiances International Network / Ambiances Reseau International, pp. 253-258. ISBN: 978-2952094832
- Radicchi, A. (2010). “Living Soundscapes, Historic Cities and the Design of Urban Landscape. A Case Study: Soundscapes Oltrarno”, Proceedings of the International Conference: Living Landscape. The European Landscape Convention in research perspective, 18-19 October 2010, Florence (IT), Vol. II, pp. 152-155. ISBN: 978-88-8341-459-6
Technical and research reports (internally referred)
- Radicchi A. (2020). Berlin Hush City Master Plan, Technical Report of the research project Hush City Mobile Lab, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany. Submitted to the HEAD-Genuit Foundation.
- Radicchi A. (2020). Final Research Report of the research project Hush City Mobile Lab, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany. Submitted to the HEAD-Genuit Foundation.
- Radicchi A. (2019). The open source soundscapes approach to everyday quiet areas. Criteria and recommendations for the Berlin Plan of Quiet Areas (2018-2023), Technical University of Berlin. Technical Report submitted to the Municipality of Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
- Radicchi A. (2018). Final Research Report of the research project Beyond the Noise: Open Source Soundscapes, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany. Submitted to the EC &TU Berlin/Ipodi Program.
2009 – ON